Wednesday, September 14, 2011

NY Mosque's Sign Smashed on 9/11 Anniversary

"BUFFALO, NY (WIVB) - Was the sign at a mosque on the city's east side intentionally damaged? What makes this incident suspicious is that it happened on Sunday, the 10 year anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 attacks on America.

Police are investigating and have not determined whether it was a was deliberate act, but some residents we talked to believe this was no accident.

Geneva's Auto owner Walter Johnson said, "That was deliberately done and I think it's awful."

A sign outside this a mosque on Genesee Street in Buffalo was wrecked on September 11th, the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers.

Buffalo Police Chaplain Bilal Abdullah said, "I guess it was a 9/11. People maybe looked at it as a way to get back at Muslims in general."

Dorothy Chandler says she saw it happen.

"He was doing about 90 to 100 miles-per-hour. Drove u pon the sidewalk, actually, and crashed into that sign," said Chandler.

Buffalo Police say a truck drove over the lawn in front of the mosque and smashed the sign, which we found in pieces around the parking lot.

Resident Ernest Rainey said, "Everybody has a right to have their own religion."

Rainey lives across the street from the mosque and adjoining school.

"They don't bother anybody. If they do park in front of my house, they don't say nothing to me. They might greet me, if that, and they don't do anything wrong," said Rainey.

Johnson said, "Everyone is not a terrorist. I mean, it's a nice mosque. I know a lot of these guys over here. I do a lot of work on their vehicles. And whoever it is needs to be caught."

The incident, whether intentional or accidental, has some neighbors, like Bruce Austin, quite upset.

Austin said, "I think this is a destruction of property. You know, everyone is not connected with the event that happened on 9/11 and I think it's very unfair."

Police Chaplain Abdullah says there needs to be a better understanding of cultural and religious differences, saying, "I think 9/11 is about bringing things together. Religious organizations together, and that Muslims, people don't look at Muslims as just a big terrorist organization. That's the farthest thing from the truth."

The good news is no one was injured, but it sure has shaken up the immediate neighborhood."



Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comment are welcome. Be warned though that all nasty, immature, aggressive or hateful ignorant rants will be deleted. I will also delete anything I feel is spam.